[GeoSciML] GeologicUnit vocabulary - how do you treat geological provinces [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Thu Aug 2 19:08:04 EDT 2012

Hi CGI vocabulary people,

1.  I want to use GeoSciML to deliver geological provinces as GeologicUnits.  At GA, we capture:
*         basins (sedimentary provinces)
*         cratons and orogens (lithotectonic provinces)
*         igneous (magmatic) provinces
*         metallogenic provinces
*         metamorphic provinces

The GeologicUnitType currently vocabulary has:
*         lithostratigraphic unit -> I can use this for sedimentary basins
*         lithotectonic unit -> I can use this for cratons and orogens, but I'd like to be able to have a separate subcategory for each of "craton" and "orogen"
*         nothing that seems to cover igneous, metallogenic or metamorphic provinces

Do you think it appropriate that we add these geological province types to the GeologicUnitType vocabulary?

2.  Rank
If we add province types to the list of GeologicUnitTypes, then I'd like to add some hierarchical province rank terms to the Rank vocabulary.  At GA we use:
*         Superprovince
*         Province
*         Subprovince
*         Domain
*         Microdomain

I'm happy to hear anyone's thoughts.  What does your geological organisation capture/deliver?

Interoperability Working Group

Phone:  +61 2 6249 9575    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9971
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT
GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia