[GeoSciML] GeologicUnit vocabulary - how do you treat geological provinces [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at csiro.au Bruce.Simons at csiro.au
Thu Aug 2 19:22:18 EDT 2012

Ø  lithostratigraphic unit -> I can use this for sedimentary basins

A sedimentary basin is a lithotectonic unit, not a lithostratigraphic unit

Igneous suites/complexes and metamorphic complexes etc are lithodemic units

There is a Supersuite/suite/pluton hierarchy for these that I believe is in the vocabulary already. I also recall the Province/subprovince hierarchy being included in the Rank vocabulary. Have these been missed out somehow?

A metallogenic province is a type of MineralOccurrence and should be in the EarthResourceML vocabulary (along with mineral field, etc).

Bruce Simons
SDI Information Modeller
Land and Water/ Environmental Information Systems
CSIRO
E bruce.simons at csiro.au T +61 3 9252 6514 M +61 429 177155
PO Box 56, Highett, Victoria, 3190
www.csiro.au | www.csiro.au/science/Environmental-Information-Systems