[GeoSciML] Broken import in CGI Utilities 1.0 breaks GeoSciML 2.0

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Thu Aug 9 01:01:33 EDT 2012

OGC have updated the copy of SMIL 2.0 inside GML 3.1.1 to remove:

This breaks an import in CGI Utilities 1.0, and hence breaks GeoSciML 2.0:

The fix is described in the annotation of the import (nice!).

Kind regards,

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] App-schema plugin demo
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:52:46 +0800
From: Ben Caradoc-Davies <Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au>
To: Julián González <gongarjul at gmail.com>
CC: geoserver-users at lists.sourceforge.net 
<geoserver-users at lists.sourceforge.net>


I can confirm this failure.

The app-schema-tutorial is based on GeoSciML 2.0:

GeoSciML 2.0 imports as one of its dependencies:

which contains the following:

<import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
<documentation>This modified copy of xml.xsd is used with GML 3.1
applications, because of a bug in SMIL used in GML Portrayal schemas.
The import should revert to the usual location for the namespace schema
- i.e. http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd - when the GML 3.1 depdendency is

It looks like on 30 July there were some changes to GML 3.1.1's private
copy of the SMIL 2.0 schemas:

These changes included removal of xml-mod.xsd; the CGI Utilities 1.0
schemas that also use this file have not yet been updated.

I will contact the maintainers of the CGI Utilities schemas to report
this issue.

The workaround is to edit the file with the broken import. It will have
been downloaded into your local app-schema cache. Once downloaded, it
will never be overwritten, so you can edit it in place. It should be here:


Replace the broken import:

<import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"


<import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"

Now restart GeoServer and the schema resolution and download process
will resume and should succeed. (I have tested this.)

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

On 08/08/12 20:27, Julián González wrote:
> Hey.
> I'm working on Windows XP, Tomcat 6, GeoServer 2.2 RC1. I have also
> installed the App-Schema plugin, and I'm trying to run the demo
> included in the plugin.
> At first, GeoServer could not access the Internet, but I added the
> proxy settings in the boot options of the JVM and from that moment
> Geoserver was enabled to download the xsd files in the workspace cache
> folder.
> But there is a file that it does not get downloaded and I think that
> it is impossible for the demo to run correctly without it. The line of
> the GeoServer LOG reporting the issue is:
> 07/08/2012 09:43:53,697 WARN [geotools.xml] - Unexpected response "404
> Not Found" while downloading
> http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.1/smil/xml-mod.xsd
> I checked with a browser that the xml-mod.xsd file does not exist at
> http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.1/
> Someone has faced this problem before? Is there a workaround?
> Regards and thanks in advance.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions
> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware
> threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> _______________________________________________
> Geoserver-users mailing list
> Geoserver-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users

Ben Caradoc-Davies <Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au>
Software Engineer
CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
Australian Resources Research Centre

Ben Caradoc-Davies <Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au>
Software Engineer
CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
Australian Resources Research Centre

More information about the GeoSciML mailing list