[GeoSciML] GeoSciML F2F meeting in Wellington

Mark Rattenbury M.Rattenbury at gns.cri.nz
Thu Aug 9 00:57:05 EDT 2012

For those of you attending next week's GeoSciML F2F meeting in Wellington
here's some preliminary information. Some of this is relevant also for the
SoilML participants in Wednesday morning's session (Alastair - could you
please forward this to those in your group who are not on this list?
Thanks).

Getting to GNS Science in Lower Hutt.

As most of you are staying at the Novotel Hotel in central Wellington can
you please congregate at that hotel around 8.15 am on Monday morning and
self-organise yourselves into taxis. The drive will take about 20 minutes
(~$NZ60 I think). The street address is 1 Fairway Drive, Avalon (Lower
Hutt) and our building is the first on the right after crossing the
Kennedy-Good bridge (over Hutt River).

We would like to have you ready to start at 9.00 am.There is onsite
parking if you are bringing a car. I would not recommend using buses to
get there and the train service requires a 1 km walk.

While at GNS Science

Full wireless connectivity is available, and food and tea/coffee will be
provided for lunch and morning/afternoon breaks.

Group dinner

We propose having a group dinner on Wednesday evening (including the
SoilML if you wish). The venue will be sorted out early week but can you
please indicate to me if you would like to come so I can make a
preliminary booking. For other evenings I suggest you self-organise -
there are many fine restaurants, microbreweries and wine bars to choose
from. There is a local food festival underway ("Wellington On a Plate") so
there may be some pressure on venues.

Tongariro volcano eruption

Latest advice is that there has been no further activity since Monday
evening. The eruption was a hydrothermal eruption, very short-lived, and
gas geochemistry suggest no magma involvement. The Alert level remains is
low and there is no indication/expectation of further activity. All air
and land travel has resumed and air services between Australia and
Wellington are unlikely to be affected in any event.

Wellington weather

It's 10 degrees today with a cold southerly wind. This isn't unusual
although it won't likely get much colder. The long range forecast model is
cold and wet (it is our winter!),

See more details at
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/CGIModel/WellingtonF2F2012

Please contact me if you have any specific questions, either by email or
cell phone +64 27 327 5762.

Mark

     Mark Rattenbury
   Geologist & Programme Leader: Minerals, Urban and Regional Geology
   GNS Science
   1 Fairway Drive, P.O. Box 30-368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
   Tel:  +64-4-570-4697                   Fax:  +64-4-570-4600
   email:  m.rattenbury at gns.cri.nz        http://www.gns.cri.nz

   QMAP is the new 1:250 000 Geological Map of New Zealand
   http://www.gns.cri.nz/qmap