[GeoSciML] [ExternalEmail] Re: FW: Added requirement on consuming application to GML-nil-1.0.doc

Simon.Cox at csiro.au Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Mon Aug 13 20:27:38 EDT 2012

Oh - I should probably point out the consequences for GeoSciML.

This work was motivated by the discussion in June about the difficulty of using SamplingCurve as the basis for the GeoSciML Borehole feature type.
The issue was that SamplingCurve and the other SpatialSamplingFeature features have a mandatory 'shape' property which is not nillable in the standard OMXML implementation. I pointed out that we (the GeoSciML community) had in the past used a convention whereby the xlink:href attribute could carry a nil URI to get the same effect. Clemens pointed out a few issues with that interpretation, which this specification tried to deal with.

Primarily, it describes the approach formally so we all know what is going on, and can also point external users to a document that explains it.
It is constructed as a new specification, with 'modular' requirements and conformance classes relating to four standardization targets:

-          The UML model

-          The XML Schema

-          XML instance documents

-          Consuming applications
The 'conformance class' approach means that we are not forcing the issue for anyone - you have to sign up to the spec before you would be expected to satisfy the requirements. If the spec proves useful, then perhaps at some future date it would be rolled into GML as optional conformance classes, but this is not necessary for it to be useful to any community that chooses to adopt it.

For GeoSciML AFAICT it requires three changes

(i)                  Add voidableProperties="true" as a tagged value to each <<applicationSchema>> package

(ii)                Add <appinfo>nillableProperties</appinfo> to the all-components XML Schema document for each namespace

(iii)               Increment the GeoSciML version number to 3.1 (its backward compatible for document instances, so only minor version required).

CSIRO, Landcare and BGS will propose this as an OGC RFC. If anyone else wants to join as a sponsor, then you are welcome.
I don't expect much objection - it is tightly scoped, completely optional, but useful.
It could get through the OGC process in a matter of months.

Simon