[GeoSciML] Some observations on the CGI vocabs

Simon.Cox at csiro.au Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Mon Oct 22 02:08:45 EDT 2012

Hi Steve - prompted by the flurry of email today, I've taken a look at a couple of the vocabs.
Good work. I'm seeing some basically minor issues that would make them even better ...

1.       For each of the vocabularies, you have used the Ontology URI to identify the ConceptScheme. This is beyond OWL-DL (or OWL2-RL), so is generally frowned on by DL-nazis. Mind you, these days I'm relatively unconvinced that ConceptSchemes provide much utility, so I just use a placeholder URI, like AlterationType:Scheme.

2.       OTOH I find that a skos:Collection for each partial URI, ending in "/", helps navigation, as you can use skos:member to point to all the initial members.

3.       Not clear why all the concepts are type=owl:NamedIndividual as well as skos:Concept?  And is it necessary to include the superclass owl:Thing?

None of these will have much direct effect on the things that matter (the concepts, the concept hierarchy, labels and definitions) but will make the vocabularies more digestible to SemWeb types.

I've processed two examples where I have done the suggested remediations.

Simon

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CDB056.760E5820]

Simon Cox | Research Scientist
ARRC, PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102, Australia
Tel +61 8 6436 8639 | Mob +61 403 302 672
simon.cox at csiro.au<mailto:simon.cox at csiro.au> | http://csiro.au/people/Simon.Cox<http://www.csiro.au/people/Simon.Cox>