[GeoSciML] GeoSciML version 3.2 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wed Jul 17 14:07:34 EDT 2013

Hmm.. while trying to fix my SOS, I try to understand the subtle behavior of GetCapabilities acceptVersions (or its absence actually) using SnowFlake implementation

When I POST this to SnowFlake

Http POST

<GetCapabilities service="WFS" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/wfs/2.0 http://schemas.opengis.net/wfs/2.0/wfs.xsd" xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/wfs/2.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"/>

(no acceptsVersions parameters) - I get a 2.0.0 GetCapabilities document

<wfs:WFS_Capabilities xmlns:wfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs/2.0" xmlns:ows="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="2.0.0">

But when I send it using GET

http://ogc.bgs.ac.uk/digmap625k_gsml32_gp/wfs?request=GetCapabilities&service=WFS

I get a 1.1.0

OWS Common , in Table 5 (Clause 7.2.3)  says for AcceptVersions

When omitted, returns latest supported version (see, 7.3.2)

7.3.2 ... "if a server receives a GetCapabilities request without the AcceptVersions parameter", it shall return a service metadata document that is compliant to the highest protocol version that the server supports".

And since, extra parameters are supposed to be ignored by OGC API (not a formal clause but well known practice; there is a CR 10-107r1 demanding this to be specified explicitly, did not find after a quick look in 06-121r9 )

Therefore, this

http://ogc.bgs.ac.uk/digmap625k_gsml32_gp/wfs?request=GetCapabilities&service=WFS&VERSION=2.0.0 ,

should not raise an error, but ignore the VERSION parameter that is out of context for GetCapabilities and consider the request as

http://ogc.bgs.ac.uk/digmap625k_gsml32_gp/wfs?request=GetCapabilities&service=WFS

and return a 2.0.0 GetCapabilities document.

Unless I'm missing something, this should also be flagged as a bug to "Flocon de Neige"

Eric