[GeoSciML] GML namespace collision-- ISO vs OGC

Steve Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Wed Jul 24 19:06:58 EDT 2013

I've run into an interesting problem working on XSLT's to transform ISO metadata, and I suppose I'm not the first to have to deal with it... We use gml:TimePeriod, defined in temporal.xsd.

In the OGC repository at http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.1/base/temporal.xsd :
"<schema targetNamespace="http://www.opengis.net/gml" xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" version="3.1.1.2">
            <annotation>
                        <appinfo source="urn:opengis:specification:gml:schema-xsd:temporal:3.1.1"/>"

In the ISO repository at http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gml/temporal.xsd we have:
<schema targetNamespace="http://www.opengis.net/gml" xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" version="3.2.0">
            <annotation>
                        <appinfo source="urn:ogc:specification:gml:schema-xsd:temporal:3.2.0">temporal.xsd</appinfo>

Same namespace URI, different versions

The OGC repository at http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.2.1/temporal.xsd has:
<schema targetNamespace="http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2" xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2" version="3.2.1.2">
            <annotation>
                        <appinfo source="urn:x-ogc:specification:gml:schema-xsd:temporal:3.2.1">temporal.xsd</appinfo>

Different namespace, same major.minor version.
The XML schema as far as gml:TimePeriod appears to be identical.

Big problem when transforming a metadata doc that comes in thinking "I'm using gml 3.2, so the namespace should be http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2" and has such a namespace declaration, but the XSLT is using ISO namespace http://www.opengis.net/gml, also (according to what's in the normative schema) v3.2, which is what the ISO schemas end up using because buried somewhere in there, they use the schema at http://www.isotc211.org/2005/gml/temporal.xsd.
Interesting, annoying, requires a kludge to work around...

steve

Stephen M Richard
Arizona Geological Survey
416 W. congress #100