[GeoSciML] [TC-Discuss] Assessment of the Virtual TC Meeting [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Sun Jun 23 23:08:46 EDT 2013

Hi Adrian et al,

Some comments about TC meetings, physical and virtual.

The OGC TC meetings are not terribly convenient for the GeoSciML SWG.  Generally our active members only have funds for one or maybe two major overseas trips a year.  We have typically met face-to-face annually at times and places where several geoscientific events and associated meetings can be co-located to maximise the use of our limited funds.  Our meetings for GeoSciML development have usually extended over 1 to 4 days each time - much longer than the few hours generally available at a face-to-face TC meeting.  As an example, our recent SWG meeting in St Petersburg (which coincided with the OGC virtual TC by accident rather than design) was timed after much toing and froing between members to coordinate schedules, and located to encourage new particpation from the Russian Federation.  We did not really consider random remote attendance at the meeting by potential new participants, but there had been considerable effort prior to the meeting to get new participation from agencies targeted by the GeoSciML and OneGeology communities.  Your comment that "each group was left to organize itself on its own" was not an issue for us, because the GeoSciML community have been comfortable arranging its own meetings, physical and virtual, since 2003 (GeoSciML only joined the OGC this year).

Teleconference will probably be the primary mode of our participation in OGC TC meetings, and we can do that at either physical or virtual TC meetings.  We may schedule future GeoSciML SWG teleconference meetings during a TC virtual meeting period (that seems sensible), but GeoSciML's SWG member availability will generally drive our meeting schedule.  While our potentially patchy physical attendance at TC meetings does not allow for much face-to-face cross-domain exchange of ideas, we are always keeping up with OGC communications, many of us are observers or members on other SWGs, and we are always available via email through which we have discussed issues with other SWGs in the past.  The ability to submit motions and documents for TC votes at a virtual TC meeting without our physical attendance is also potentially useful.

Regards,

Minerals and Natural Hazards Division  |  GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA<http://www.ga.gov.au/>

Oceania Councillor & Interoperability Working Group
IUGS Commission for the Management and Application of Geoscience Information<http://www.cgi-iugs.org/>

Chair, GeoSciML Standards Working Group
Open Geospatial Consortium<http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/geoscimlswg>

Phone:  +61 2 6249 9575    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9971