[GeoSciML] Geologic History Relationship terms

Laxton, John L. jll at bgs.ac.uk
Fri Jan 10 12:10:24 EST 2014

Hi Steve,

I think this is probably illustrating a problem with the way GeologicHistory is modelled.

If we agree the GeologicHistoryRelationshipTerm refers to the kinds of relationships between GeologicEvents and GeologicFeatures then the terms in the original proposal are valid. An erosionEvent describes the relationship between a GeologicEvent with an eventProcess of erosion and some GeologicFeature which is being eroded. That said I agree this isn't adding much to the sum of human understanding and what you propose is a more pragmatic approach.

However I do think this raises the question of why GeologicHistory is modelled as a type of GeologicRelation, and why GeologicEvent is a type of GeologicFeature (so I'm copying this to the modelling list). In my experience this aspect of the model is very difficult to explain to the community and is adding complexity without delivering any more information - if we agree that all the GeologicRelation properties have to be hard-coded when applied to GeologicHistory. In INSPIRE we had geologicHistory as a simple association from GeologicFeature to GeologicEvent, as we had in earlier versions of GeoSciML, and which I think we should consider reverting to.

John