[GeoSciML] Questions on software support for GML/GeoSciML

Sen, Marcus A. mase at bgs.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 06:02:20 EDT 2014

I recently attended an "interoperability plugfest" organised by the OGC and UK Ordnance Survey (see http://www.agi.org.uk/member-news/2013/9/17/call-for-participation-in-the-open-geospatial-consortium-ogc.html for the original call for participation).

One part of that which I thought was useful was a questionnaire put together by Peter Parslow of the Ordnance Survey asking software vendors whether they supported different aspects of GML. This was motivated by the Ordnance Survey considering further development of the GML products they produce and wanting to know whether it is likely that customers will be able to make use of GML files using different simple features profiles or beyond simple features and different ways of labelling coordinate systems etc. I think some of the questions also apply to GeoSciML and that maybe it would be useful for us to extend/adapt this questionnaire to cover the different GML application schema conventions used in GeoSciML as a way of evaluating how much work is required to make GeoSciML accessible to clients. So I'm attaching the questionnaire to this email for discussion (with the permission of Ordnance Survey).

Marcus Sen

(I notice Bart de Lathouwer is going to report on the plugfest during the WMS SWG on from 10:00-12:00 on Thursday 27th in Crystal City; I don't know if that will just be the WMS aspects or include GML and WFS aspects as well.)