[GeoSciML] GeologicEvent bounded by boundaries instead of ages ?

Boisvert2, Eric (NRCan/RNCan) eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca
Thu Sep 21 09:46:16 EDT 2017

We are trying to create a mapping between datasets and GeoSciML vocabularies and we started wondering why GeologicEvent is bounded (olderNamedAge and youngerNamedAge, or olderGeochrologicalAge and youngerGeochrologicalAge in GeoScimLExtension)  by Age (a name from a vocab for basic or TimeOrdinalEra for extension) instead of boundaries ?

Wouldn't it be more coherent to limit a event by two boundaries (TimeOrdinalEraBoundary), eg: isc:BasePhanerozoic and isc:BaseSiluria for a Cambro-Ordovician unit. ?
  TimeOrdinalEarBoundary has subtypes for numerical and Geochron boundaries.

Eric Boisvert
Expert  TI-GI / IT-IM Expert
eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca<mailto:eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca>,
orcid: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6256-2912
phone 418-654-3705,
facsimile/télécopieur 418-654-2615
490, rue de la Couronne, Québec (Québec),
G1K 9A9, Canada

Laboratoire de cartographie numérique et de photogrammétrie (LCNP)
Digital Cartography and Photogrammetry Laboratory (DCPL)

Commission géologique du Canada  (Québec) / Geological Survey of Canada (Quebec)
Lands and Minerasl Sector / Secteur des terres et des minéraux
Ressources naturelles Canada / Natural Resources Canada Gouvernement du Canada  / Government of Canada

[logo_175petit]