[GeoSciML] Web Best Practice Interop Experiment

Boisvert2, Eric (NRCan/RNCan) eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca
Mon Sep 25 08:04:32 EDT 2017

At the last GeoSciML SWG, I proposed the idea of conducting an OGC interoperability experiment for GeoSciML.  Some participants showed interest at the meeting (NZ, Canada, France) and we'd like to expand the discussion of the feasibility and interest into a formal OGC IE.

There are several drivers for an IE:

-          W3C/OGC Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices (https://www.w3.org/TR/sdw-bp/)  and  Data on the Web Best Practices (https://www.w3.org/TR/dwbp/) which recommend a series of best practices to publish data on the web.  Those best practices have a strong bias toward JSON and RDF.  GeoSciML use cases are build on top of WFS/GML technologies, which are considered best practices, but have gaps regarding discoverability.   BTW. If you haven't looked at this document (https://www.w3.org/TR/sdw-bp/)  I strongly recommend you read it - it's packed with a lot of good stuff.

-           There is a shift from XML to JSON (GeoJSON and JSON-LD) in the web developer community and again, the current GeoSciML does not provide an official GeoJSON encoding.

o   JSON-LD relies (?) on the existence of a RDF "schemas" to map JSON properties.

o   Producing new encoding for GeoSciML requires some testing, which we performed through interop experiments in the past.

-          OneGeology management board has express their interest into modernising/improving OneGeology portal. The technical team held a workshop and drafted a report recommending implementing some of the W3C/OGC Best practices (see http://www.onegeology.org/meetings/technical_meetings.html - look for Austria meeting)

-          Governments agencies embarked in Linked Data through various internal (GSC Groundwater Information Network for example) or collaborative projects (ELFIE Interop experiment for example : http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/initiatives/elfie) .

Of course, interop experiments demand time and effort and we won't get into this if there is no interest and/or resource.

So: Show of hands. are there any interest into a IE on W3C/OGC best practices ?  Obviously, scope and details of the IE are up for discussion.

Eric Boisvert
Expert  TI-GI / IT-IM Expert
eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca<mailto:eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca>,
orcid: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6256-2912
phone 418-654-3705,
facsimile/télécopieur 418-654-2615
490, rue de la Couronne, Québec (Québec),
G1K 9A9, Canada

Laboratoire de cartographie numérique et de photogrammétrie (LCNP)
Digital Cartography and Photogrammetry Laboratory (DCPL)

Commission géologique du Canada  (Québec) / Geological Survey of Canada (Quebec)
Lands and Minerasl Sector / Secteur des terres et des minéraux
Ressources naturelles Canada / Natural Resources Canada Gouvernement du Canada  / Government of Canada

[logo_175petit]