[GeoSciML] RFG 2018 Vancouver conference

Boisvert2, Eric (NRCan/RNCan) eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca
Wed Jan 10 20:14:56 EST 2018

OK.  I wrote an abstract (open for edits/corrections/improvements/critics on how this English looks French  ) to submit for session RS17 (that's the one right Ollie ? : list here http://rfg2018.org/~/media/Files/OtherEvents/RFG2018/Themes/RFG2018_Themes_Sessions_List.ashx?la=en ) of RFG (http://rfg2018.org/).  Deadline for abstract is next Monday

We are allowed 300 words, this has 283 including the title.

GeoSciML : An international standard for geological sciences

In 2016, GeoSciML (Geoscience Markup Language) has been formally adopted as an international standard by the Open Geospatial Consortium.  This data exchange standard formalizes the description of geological features commonly portrayed in geological maps, cross sections, geological reports and databases. It provides geological surveys, and other geoscience data providers, a common vocabulary for the electronic dissemination of geoscientific information.  GeoSciML was developed over the past decade by  a collective of geological surveys around the world under the auspices of the IUGS Commission for the Management and Application of Geoscience Information (CGI).  This standard is used in several national and international data sharing and dissemination initiative in North America (USGIN), Europe (INSPIRE) and Australia (Australia Geoscience portal) as well as global (OneGeology).  It also underpins other geoscience standards such as GroundwaterML and ERML (Earth Resources Markup Language).  At the same time, it borrows from other ISO and OGC specifications (Observation and Measurements,  Sensor Web Enablement Common Data Model and ISO Metadata). GeoSciML was initially developed as a GML/XML application destined for a specific style of web services sponsored by OGC.  In recent years, however, methods and best practices to publish data on the internet shifted to a more web centric architecture.  W3C and OGC published a best practices guide promoting  web friendly encoding, such as JSON and RDF.  Significant effort has been put in the GeoSciML standard to separate the "conceptual" part of GeoSciML and its GML/XML encoding.  Therefore alternate encodings, such as various flavour of RDF (RDF/XML, TTL, N3,etc) and various flavour of JSON (GeoJSON, JSON-LD) are possible.  GeoSciML Standard Working Group is therefore exploring the suitability of GeoSciML in a modern web centric environment.

I took a chance here that we'll make some progress on RDF encoding - otherwise, revert to good old GeoSciML presentation + some tap dance at the end.

There is a catch.. I won't there (not that week anyway), so we need somebody to give the talk  - otherwise, we just forget the whole thing or get a poster (still need someone to stand next to it)
Obviously, I will prepare the deck, and obviously will accept any offer for help.

Authorship.. the tricky one.

a)      GeoSciML SWG

b)      Long list of contributors, ie, the list we have in the spec

c)       Short list of contributors (who ?)

d)      Whoever will give the presentation (need to know this fast)

Suggestions ?

Eric Boisvert, MSc

Professionnel de Recherche - Reseach Officer
Commission géologique du Canada - Geological Survey of Canada
Secteur des terres et des minéraux  - Lands and Minerals Sector
Ressources naturelles Canada - Natural Resources Canada

490 de la Couronne
Québec, Qc, Canada
G1K 9A9

T: 1-418-654-3705 F: 1-418-654-2615