[GeoSciML] Vancouver meeting notes

Simon.Cox at csiro.au Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Tue Jun 12 21:44:47 EDT 2018

I notice you have re-discovered the JSON-LD gotcha - no nested arrays.

I'm not convinced this is a big problem. The RDF model is for logic and reasoning, not for math operations. Thus I don't think RDF is relevant to coordinates and geometries - whole geometries can be expressed as RDF literals, but not individual coordinate values. So there is no need for nested arrays. GeoSPARQL recognized this by putting a boundary between the conceptual aspects that are modelled in RDF, and the geometries which are expressed in a micro-format in Literals of type http://www.opengis.net/ont/geosparql#wktLiteral or http://www.opengis.net/ont/geosparql#gmlLiteral. See sections 8.5 and 8.6 in GeoSPARQL.

And anyway, GeoSciML shouldn't be trying to solve the geometry/geography problems - stick to your knitting, which is geology and geophysics.

GeoJSON is interesting and important, but is not compatible with JSON-LD.

Simon