[GeoSciML] GeoSciML GeoJSON encoding

Boisvert2, Eric (NRCan/RNCan) eric.boisvert2 at canada.ca
Mon Apr 5 17:23:48 EDT 2021

Greetings

Hope you are coping well with whichever covid wave you are into.

A few month ago, there were discussion on having a GeoJSON (and other *JSON) encoding for GeoSciML, simply because XML is not the format preferred by web developers and emerging OGC API, although not prescribing it, somewhat expect JSON.

To get things moving, I started collecting discussion points, bases on analysis of what BRGM has done already (I think it’s EPOS actually).

https://github.com/opengeospatial/GeoSciML/blob/master/geojson/REAME.MD

There are a few items that needs to be addressed, which will decide how an eventual modular spec will be written (where it will stem from) and how picky we want to be about the formal standards.

Once we nail the GeoJSON one, we can use it as a template to move to GeoJSON-LD.

Cheers

Eric Boisvert
Gestionnaire Programme Géosciences pour les eaux souterraines /
Groundwater Geoscience Program Manager
Commission géologique du Canada - Québec / Geological Survey of Canada - Québec
Ressources naturelles Canada / Natural Resources Canada
490 de la Couronne, Québec, Canada 🍁
G1K 9A9
Tel. (418) 654-3705
Fax (418) 654 2615